Case Study: Worley
Digital Inspection Proves New Process Efficiencies For LNG Refurbishment
WorleyParsons provide a range of consulting and advisory services, and deep technical expertise for major projects. WorleyParsons’ integrated offerings include full asset management services and engineering, procurement and construction capability. These outcomes are delivered across four business lines – Advisory, Major Projects, Integrated Solutions and Services.
One of the most advanced, integrated gas production systems in the world, this LNG facility is located in north-western Australia and operated by a major oil and gas operator on behalf of several other international oil and gas entities. The facility produces thousands of tonnes of liquefied natural gas for export as well as supporting a large proportion of Australia’s domestic gas requirements.
The facilities include several LNG processing trains, domestic gas trains, condensate stabilisation units, LPG fractionation units as well as storage and loading facilities for LNG, LPG and condensate.
WorleyParsons provide detailed engineering and project management services to the Project, focusing on assessment and refurbishment works for piping, vessel and structural components of the LNG processing facility.
Seeking an improved service model, the client engaged Inspectivity to deliver an inspection platform capable of transforming paper based workflows to support a digital offshore engineering model. The software solution needed to be mobile and easy to use, as well as:
- Manage the performance of corrosion and coating inspection activities of piping, piping components, pressure vessels and other structural elements.
- Improve the quality and detail of condition information recorded by inspectors.
- Support global stakeholder access to real time engineering data.
- Introduce a new inspection model for ‘offshore’ engineering assessment’.
- Automate generation of inspection reports.
- Integrate with existing IT systems.
The Inspectivity Solution
Inspectivity provisioned a dedicated client instance of the Inspectivity Platform to support the Project’s growing user and data volumes, configuring and collaborating with engineering focal points to provide:
- Modified workflows for managing inspection and defect lifecycles across stakeholder groups.
- Visibility of the inspection value chain through customised data import, exports and reporting.
- Inspection templates for AICIP, NACE and structural disciplines covering piping, pipe support, vessels, coating and structural assets.
Data quality and integrity
- Real time inspection data with significantly higher level of granularity and detail, allowing for more accurate and automated engineering assessment.
- A guided inspection process reducing inspection errors, de-personalisation of results and improving quality/timeliness of reporting.
Faster response, greater teaming
- Enabling greater communication between WorleyParson’s engineers, field inspectors and Project teams has resulted in an expedited flow of information and audit trail.
- Collaborative inspection workflows support faster decision making, while reducing requirement for site based personnel.
- Staff are notified of critical corrosion and coating issues in real time allowing immediate site intervention.
Smarter ways of working
- New digital inspection templates have assisted the client in achieving goals of automated reporting and support for offshore engineering assessment model.
- Bulk of engineering assessment now takes place in offshore engineering data centre.
- Client’s IT systems interface directly with Inspectivity’s Platform to leverage information exchange.
The Project is ongoing and with the implementation of digital inspections significant cost savings and operational efficiencies are realised . Working together with WorleyParsons, Inspectivity has ensured the efficient processing of high-volume inspection condition data to achieve a streamlined refurbishment model. Today, WorleyParsons inspection process is highly optimised, improving asset uptime and workforce performance.